The American Automobile Association (AAA) is a non-profit organization comprised of many regional motor clubs. The main objective is to offer various types of assistance to motorists, related to using their automobiles. AAA also offers home, auto, life and other insurance products to its members. Medicare Supplemental Plans are available to AAA members who are eligible for Medicare.
As with any type of insurance, before buying the product, you should have clear knowledge about the product. This will help you to take the right decisions and find the most suitable plan.
Medicare Supplemental Plan
These plans are popularly referred to as Medigap plans.These plans are used with Original Medicare, Part A and Part B plans. Original Medicare plans do not cover 100% of the costs – there are copayments, coinsurance and deductibles. These additional expenses are covered by Medigap plans.Some benefits, like foreign travel medical emergency are included under Medigap but are not there in Original Medicare.
When you take any medical service through Medicare, a large part of the costs is covered by Part A or Part B depending on the service you are taking. There is a smaller portion which is your share and you have to pay it out of your pocket.Medigap covers the part that you are supposed to pay. Medicare will pay its share first; the rest will be paid by Medigap.
For getting some Medicare benefits, you have to meet the deductible amount first before you can start getting coverage. Some Medigap plans cover this deductible also.
Types of Medigap Policies
At present, there are ten types of Medigap plans available in the market. The plans are named as -Plan A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M and N. Every plan offers the same benefits no matter which company sells it.You have to buy these plans from private insurance companies who are approved by Medicare to sell these plans.The benefits of a particular plan remain same across every state. However, all the plans may not be available in state or area. It is upon the discretion of the insurance companies as to which plans they will offer in which area.
Benefits of Medigap Plans
The following are the basic benefits which are offered by every Medigap plan –
- Coinsurance and hospital expenses up to 365 days after the expiry of Medicare benefits (Part A)
- Coinsurance and copayments with Medicare Part B
- Coinsurance and copayment for hospice care (Part A)
- First three pints of blood annually
The following benefits are offered by the other Medigap plans. Every benefit is not covered by every plan. You have to choose the plan according to the covered benefit which you need most.
- Coinsurance for skilled nursing facility
- Foreign travel medical emergency
- Medicare Part A and Part B deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges
The following benefits are not included under any of the Medigap plans –
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Hearing aids
- Long term care services
- Private-duty nursing care
Some Important Features of Medigap Plans –
- Only Medigap plans can be used as supplements for Original Medicare
- You have to be enrolled into Medicare Part A and Part B in order to buy Medigap plans
- These plans are meant to be used individually – you and your spouse needs to have separate plans
- You cannot keep Medicare Advantage and Medigap both at the same time
There are many private insurance companies who sell Medigap plans. AAA also offers Medigap plans to its members. AAA Medicare Supplemental Plans are issued by Aetna Health and Life Insurance Company.